Here’s a brief recap of our November meeting:
- Our word of the month is Superfluous, which Merriam-Webster defines as: beyond what is necessary: not needed.
- November’s writing tip by Matt U.:
“Print out and cut up your own writing.” Take a piece of your writing 1-2 pages–or up to a whole chapter–and cut up single sentences or each individual word. Spread the cut up pieces out in front of you on a table and begin to reconstruct your writing by piecing things together and creating a completely different story.
This old school method of ‘cut and paste’ can help ease a case of writer’s block or just help you view your writing in a whole new way.
- Member Matt U. shared his writing and received feedback from the group.
Here’s what to expect at our December meeting:
- We’ll meet at 7 p.m. on Thursday, December 12th at Spencer Road Library Branch in Houck Professional Room 212 (for directions to the library, click here)
- Our writing tip will be brought in by Diane.
- Our word of the month will be brought in by Cindy.
- There is no prompt for December. With the holidays, everyone is definitely busier this time of year. This month, we’ll be doing something fun and creative instead of writing a prompt. Anyone who wishes to participate, can bring in their writing cut up into pieces. We’ll construct a story as a group using the ‘cut and paste’ method from our November writing tip. This should prove to be a fun, interesting and no doubt, creative experience!
- Our critique for the month of December will work a bit differently. At our November meeting we ran out of time before we were able to critique Diane’s work-in-progress. For December, everyone will read Diane’s piece she gave to us at our November meeting, on our own time prior to this month’s meeting. We will not be reading it at the library, so everyone will need to have it read and marked up with their own notes for critique at this month’s meeting. If you need a copy of the writing she’s sharing for critique, send an email to Amanda.
- Please bring in a treat to share! Bring one of your favorite nibbles to share with the group. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy-or even homemade-just as long as it’s tasty and there’s enough for everyone.
Our group has grown quickly! At this time, Pen to Paper is closed to any new members or attendees. Non-members wishing to attend one of our meetings should email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a waiting list.